Stihl sponsors America’s Main Streets contest
Route 66 road trip and $25k cash prize bring attention to America’s Main Streets.
Is your Main Street already awesome, but you want to give it even more curbside appeal? Or, is it crying for a makeover and in need of a little T.L.C.? A new contest kicking off March 1 promises to liven up one of America’s Main Streets, and allows the country to have a hand in making it happen.
Since Main Streets are the lifeblood of our cities and towns, play an important role in the long-term success of communities and help build a sense of place, Independent We Stand invites the public to nominate and vote for a deserving Main Street. The winning Main Street receives $25,000 in cash and related prizes for revitalization.
“The goal of this inaugural Independent We Stand “America’s Main Streets” contest is to promote the importance and strong economic benefits of Main Streets and the small businesses that help them thrive,” explains Independent We Stand co-founder Bill Brunelle. “We expect to see communities rallying for their Main Streets simply by going online and encouraging others to do the same. We want to know what already makes your Main Street tick or what you think would make it even better.”
Here’s how it works: Voting begins as soon as an area is nominated. Need help finding a formal main street group to nominate? Main Street America has a list of nationally designated main street programs that can be found by clicking here. All nominations and voting take place on MainStreetContest.com.
Nothing says “Americana” like the iconic Route 66, also known as “America’s Main Street”! Right after the contest kick-off, the Independent We Stand team hits the famed highway for “The Great American Route 66 Road Trip.”
The team will stop in Oklahoma City, Okla.; Amarillo, Texas; Albuquerque, N.M.; Flagstaff/Sedona, Ariz. and Santa Monica/Los Angeles, Calif. to promote the contest, as well as interview and engage with small businesses, their customers, Main Street groups and small business organizations. Follow their journey on Facebook and Twitter.
- March 1-April 24: “America’s Main Streets” nominations and quarterfinalist voting
- March 14-18: “The Great American’s Route 66 Road Trip”
- May 2-29: “America’s Main Streets” semifinalist voting
- June 3: “America’s Main Streets” winner announced
- July 4: “Main Streets Make Us Better” press conference; “America’s Main Streets” winner announces plans for $25,000 grand prize
Additional contest prizes include:
- STIHL Equipment Certificate for $1,000 worth of STIHL equipment good at any STIHL dealer in the U.S.
- Tire Pros $500 certificate towards a set of Continental tires
- Do it Best Corp. $500 shopping spree
- PPG Pittsburgh Paints $500 shopping spree
- Public relations and social media recognition
- An Alignable small business social media “Neighborhood” on the site
- Special plaque for winner to proudly display
- STIHL Inc., America’s number-one selling brand of gasoline-powered handheld outdoor power equipment, is the founding sponsor of Independent We Stand and a co-presenting sponsor of America’s Main Streets contest. The company follows a unique distribution strategy in the handheld power equipment industry, choosing never to sell products at big box stores, but instead remaining loyal to its 9,000+ independent servicing dealers nationwide.
- FCA US BusinessLink is an organization within FCA US LLC that encompasses the commercial dealer network, BusinessLink, as well as develops cost-of-doing-business reducing programs and valuable-to-business incentives for small business consumers. FCAWorkVehiclesUS.com is the destination for commercial vehicles, testimonials, current incentives, finding a local dealer and much more.
- Main Street America
- Do it Best Corp.
- National Federation of Independent Businesses
- North American Retail Hardware Association
- PPG Pittsburgh Paints
- Tire Pros
Independent We Stand is a movement of independent business owners across the country dedicated to informing their communities about the importance of “Buying Local” and how these efforts bolster their local economy. This movement supports all local and national causes committed to boosting local economic development projects. The Independent We Stand movement is co-sponsored by STIHL Inc. and FCA US LLC. www.IndependentWeStand.org