ACI expands Concrete Craftsman book series
New books cover fundamentals and decorative concrete.
The American Concrete Institute expands its Concrete Craftsman Series with two new books for concrete industry professionals—Concrete Fundamentals and Placing and Finishing Decorative Concrete Flatwork.
Concrete Fundamentals – now in full color, with updated content and dual units – is intended for anyone who wants an introduction to concrete and concrete construction. The book starts with the most basic question of all, “What is concrete?” with later chapters covering materials, construction practices, testing, and more.
This book is a valuable starting point for someone in the concrete industry, whether they are an apprentice, a journeyman, a foreman, a material supplier, a finisher, or even a young engineer without field experience. This book can also be a useful resources for inclusion in training and development programs, and it priced affordably at $49 (ACI members $29). Chapters include:
- Concrete materials;
- Mixture proportioning;
- Batching and mixing concrete;
- Handling, placing, and consolidating concrete;
- Curing and protection;
- Field testing and control of concrete quality; and
- Evaluating concrete strength - core and cylinder strength tests of hardened concrete
Placing and Finishing Decorative Concrete is a brand new full-color book that provides details about the materials, equipment, and techniques required to successfully install decorative concrete flatwork. Published to raise the quality of education for the decorative concrete industry, this book supplements existing resources by providing knowledge of the materials, equipment, and techniques required to successfully install decorative concrete flatwork. Decorative concrete topics covered include:
- Mixture design for decorative concrete mixtures;
- The use of integral color and dry-shake color hardeners;
- The identification and uses of decorative finishing tools, equipment, stamping mats, and stencils);
- The use of surface retarders and set-retarding admixtures to produce exposed aggregate surfaces;
- Stamping and texturing concrete;
- Seeding fresh concrete surfaces with decorative aggregate;
- Decorative treatments for stair treads and risers; and
- Cleaning and sealing methods for decorative concrete.
This document also covers topics that are universal to concrete flatwork construction:
- Jobsite and personal safety;
- Ensuring the design adheres to Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) guidelines; and
- Preplacement site preparation; and Identification and uses of concrete finishing tools.
Additionally, two chapters of texture samples and project examples are included. Placing and Finishing Decorative Concrete is priced at $65 (ACI members $39).
Together with the other books in ACI’s Concrete Craftsman Series—Slabs-on-Ground, Supported Beams and Slabs, and Shotcrete for the Craftsman—these two new publications form part of a series of essential and practical guides for the concrete professional.
Learn more at www.concrete.org